Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never ever before have many scientific advancements and brand-new techniques emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to decrease or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast way to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be tricked by fancy ads about a particular laser center. Pick the physician, not the laser center. Learn who will actually do your treatment, then ask about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Pick a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a medical professional does not understand can harm you.
Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your doctor won't inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Make sure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute.
Expect to see really well after LASIK, but do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel that site like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the eyesight of millions of people around the world.